Tel: (818) 347-9665 PST

TheMuseumSFV@gmail.com

www.TheMuseumSFV.org




Tuesday, September 22, 2009

SNOW ABOVE THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY - JUST DREAMING!

2009 - The Year of Valley History

Fabulous San Fernando Valley - vintage postcard - 1975 - gift to The Museum of the San Fernando Valley from Gerald Fecht - 2009

One of the exciting parts about working to bring about a great Museum of history and culture for the greater San Fernando Valley is meeting people with a genuine interest in our historical heritage. At the recent paper and postcard show in Glendale, I had just found this charming postcard from 1975 of snow on the San Gabriel Mountains. I was marveling at the message side of the card, that had detailed information about a woman named Luisa who was sending to "Cinema Concurso 34" at KMEX TV Channel in Hollywood, her address, telephone number and social security number..... wow! I wondered how much identity theft went on in the mid- '70s? I bought the postcard for a dollar and put it in a bag with other little treasures in The Museum's Library.
Just then, Gary Fredburg (Secretary of The Museum) introduced me to Barry O. Balin, a resident of Woodland Hills. Mr. Balin, I discovered is an historical archivist with a significant interest in San Fernando Valley history. As I was leaving, I told Barry the same thing I have told many of you, "Now you have your very own Museum."