Tel: (818) 347-9665 PST

TheMuseumSFV@gmail.com

www.TheMuseumSFV.org




Tuesday, November 17, 2009

VAQUERO RELIEF CARVING - SAN FERNANDO CALIFORNIA

2009 - The Year of Valley History

Mexican Vaquero - San Fernando Post Office - Photo for the Archives of The Museum of the San Fernando Valley by Gerald Fecht November 2009

Today, as I did one of my walks in the San Fernando Valley, I decided to stroll through the San Fernando mall. I have never seen so many wedding stores in an area outside of Broadway, downtown Los Angeles. It was one of those quiet, warm afternoons when the hills seemed miles closer and traffic had better places to go.
I never pass up a U.S. Post Office on my walks, just in case President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's WPA legacy might be seen there. In San Fernando I was not to be disappointed.
Make sure that you included this post office on any visit to the oldest city in the Valley. The hand-carved wooden panels surrounding the post-master's office are truly beautiful.
Since The Museum of the San Fernando Valley has a special interest in our Latino heritage, this panel of a vaquero working on one of the Spanish ranches is a real treasure.

No comments: