Tel: (818) 347-9665 PST

TheMuseumSFV@gmail.com

www.TheMuseumSFV.org




Thursday, October 7, 2010

BARGAIN BOOKS OLDEST BUSINESS IN VAN NUYS

2010   THE YEAR OF VALLEY ADVENTURES.

The one great thing about "down time" for me is the endless opportunity to explore the amazing San Fernando Valley. Outside the window, from my 8th story court room, I could see a large sign calling out "Bargain Books."  On my jury duty lunch break, I could browse and even buy a book or two on Valley history for The Museum's ever growing Library.
You can see how close Bargain Books is to the Van Nuys Constituent Center (Van Nuys City Hall). Just one short block north of the Marvin Braude city complex. A good little Mexican restaurant on Van Nuys Boulevard at the corner, called Cilantro. Bar-b-que chicken tacos... yum.
 Bill Wirt, co-owner,  went to work at Bargain Books when he was a boy going to Van Nuys High School.
Like her brother Bill, Diane Sharran has worked for her family's bookstore since graduation from Van Nuys High School. Her knowledge of the store's inventory is just amazing.
Anyone who has taken one of Richard Hilton's Museum of the San Fernando Valley historic walking tours knows to pay attention to decorative grillwork. These beautiful designs grace the entrance of the grand old Van Nuys City Hall.... thanks Richard.

BARGAIN BOOKS
14426 Friar Street
Van Nuys, CA 91401
(818) 782-2782

1 comment:

Scott Mumford said...

Gah! Nostalgic twinge!!

In the early '80's I worked just a couple of blocks from this wonderful old place (it was old back then, too!). I used to walk over on my breaks and shoot the shinola with Bill & Diane...

Just a couple of months ago, I happened to be in the neighborhood and decided to see if they were still there.

THEY WERE! :-)