Tel: (818) 347-9665 PST

TheMuseumSFV@gmail.com

www.TheMuseumSFV.org




Friday, March 28, 2014

I ASKED JUDY BACA FOR HER AUTOGRAPH IN 1974

BUILDING A GREAT MUSEUM FOR THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY

In 1974, my Moorpark College colleague Bruce Boettcher and I explored Los Angeles in preparation for a class we called The City As Art.
In the Tujunga Wash in Valley Glen, at the edge of Los Angeles Valley College, we climbed down into the riverbed to see Judy Baca and her students working on a fabulous mural. Called "The Great Wall of Los Angeles", the work is the longest mural in the world. 
I had an artist's notebook with me, and asked Judy for her autograph. She said, "Sure, and I'll give you my hand print too!"  Not to be overlooked, a 14 year old boy Leo, working next to the great mural painter said, "How about me, I'm a great artist too!"
I've decided to give the two hand prints and autographs to The Museum of the San Fernando Valley as the museum prepares to open its first headquarters' space in a few weeks.



Judy Baca, Great Wall of Los Angeles autographs 1974. Gift to The Museum of the San Fernando Valley from Gerald Fecht 2014.  (click on images to enlarge them.)